Thursday, January 05, 2006

Bible in 90 Days

OK, so I've seen this (publisher's site and non-profit site) at various points around the web and figured, why not? Just what I need for a pick-me-up is one more thing that I want to do that I probably won't follow through on! But, at least it's not something that will drag on forever, right? I figure I might as well give it a shot and see what happens. Like one person had commented, it's only 12 pages --- when she'd think nothing of knocking off a hundred pages of her novel before bed. Course, I'm usually not even good with my novel, but .... we'll see. It's worth a try, yes?

I had my kids read two gospels straight through during the past semester, to get a sense of the overall story, and it ends up with a somewhat different feel than just the individual stories. I've tried various times to do the whole thing straight through, but never made it very far on my own. Of course, there are the various Bible-in-a-Year set-ups, but a year is an extremely long time for no-attention-span me. Ninety days is a lot less time. Not that it means I'll be any more successful --- heck, I'll be lucky if I even last a week and a half, but at least the closer proximity between start & end dates will make it somewhat easier to keep it at least on the guilt list!

There's actually a whole program designed around this, with DVDs and leader's guides and all that kind of stuff, but the nice thing is that at the publisher's site, you can register and they've got a little checklist for you with the passages listed, so you don't have to go out and buy a new Bible.

I figured I'd start tomorrow, with Epiphany and all that .... according to "My Personal Progress Tracker" I'll be wrapping up right at the start of my spring break -- which gives me a decent bit of wiggle room to finish before Easter.

Anyone wanna join me?

By the way, I think the initial site where I discovered this was Quotidian Grace's blog -- and if I'm reading her comments correctly, she was involved in developing and test-driving the curriculum. Am I right?

12 Comments:

Blogger Faustus and FrankenKitty said...

The suggestion that getting DVDs etc involved seems as though the technology will get in the way of the message. The kids could--maybe not all--get so entranced, entertained, etc. with the gizmos that their heads and hearts are not where they should be.

What about the following: I tried this in a jail group I used to work with. The traditional method of reading the Bible following the lectio divina method. Yes, this takes much much longer to get through a book--but its ability for focusing on the message seems unparalleled.

Will kids stand it? Do they have the attention spans? You never know until you try.

1/05/2006 3:22 PM  
Blogger What Now? said...

Steph, You've inspired me! I've been waffling about, wondering what I should be doing in the new year to give my spiritual life the booster shot it so desperately needs. So reading the Bible in 90 days it is! I decided to start tomorrow as well, both because I have no original thoughts in the moment and because that way I can think of you as a companion on the journey. Many thanks!

1/05/2006 7:31 PM  
Blogger Steph Youstra said...

Cynic ~ As a Benedictine, lectio is very much a part of my background. But there are parts that I still have had no exposure to whatsoever. I see this as kinda watching the movie, and lectio more of reading the book. This'll give the overview flow of the story as a whole, while lectio takes apart all the little pieces that makes up the whole. Also, this is something I'm thinking of doing, for me. I am planning on having the kids do lectio-type activities this semester, though.

Kevin ~ Yeah, it's Zondervan, so I'm assuming that it doesn't include all the "extra" Catholic books. But who knows --- maybe I'll stay on track and then can pick those up between the end date and Easter.

Lauren, Kevin, and What Now ~ A mild gack-moment from me. Added pressure .... but also, then, more likely to keep me on-track knowing that there are other folks doing it with me. I'm assuming you all got the reading plan?

Thanks for keepin' me accountable!

Any more takers?

1/05/2006 8:08 PM  
Blogger the tentmaker said...

Right now I'm overwheled at Thomas Merton's claim that the monks recite the entire book of Psalms on a regular basis. I don't know how long that will take me, but that's what I'm doing. Besides, when I came back to the church ten years ago after being away for 25, reading through the entire Bible was the first thing I did.

1/05/2006 8:51 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I am interested but not sure I can commit to doing it all. But I can say I will try.

1/05/2006 9:52 PM  
Blogger seeking_something said...

As I understand it, if you do the LOTH, you have all the Psalms covered?

I'll opt out on this one. I used to make it a point to read the bible before falling asleep at night. Some nights I might get several pages, others, maybe just three sentences. I got through most of the historical books (skipped Leviticus) and all of the NT that way. At a minimum, it gives me a some familiarity. I still have a lot of OT to go through and I'd like to review the NT.

Our parish gift shop has the pocket-sized NT and I sure have my eye on that. One day, I shall have a copy.

1/05/2006 11:20 PM  
Blogger see-through faith said...

I'm in it's Ephiphany today. 12 pages a day right? Every day? Right? For three months?

suggest we collect thoughts here once a week.

You ask the questions!

how does that sound.

off to check the links and hope there's a print out of what 12 pages actually means!

blessings. Thanks for the inspiration!

(also Q Grace I followed her 90 days too )

1/06/2006 5:30 AM  
Blogger the tentmaker said...

When you get to the New Testament, especially the letters of Paul, I found that it is very insightful to read an entire letter of Paul's at one sitting. Of course I couldn't do that with Romans, but I divided it into two categories: The theological discourse is in chapters 1-10, and chapters 11-16 are pastoral.

1/06/2006 6:47 AM  
Blogger ukok said...

I came to you via Lorna (See through Faith) and may join you in this interesting venture!

God Bless.

1/06/2006 8:58 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Well, I've printed off the guide and blu tacked it to the filing cabinet...which may be the closest to a declaration of intent that I can manage. Already, even thinking about it, I wondering how to get out of Leviticus, whether it's quite mad to be attempting this if I'm also doing the Daily Office, with its huge empahsis on Scripture (though I guess as a monastic that applies to you too, Steph?)...Oh, I'll give it a go, but expect very little of myself. It might (MIGHT) help that there are others doing it...but if I go very quiet, just don't ask!

1/06/2006 9:43 AM  
Blogger Jody Harrington said...

I'm so excited to see you doing this and look forward to following it. Steph is correct: I was involved in running a "test" program at my church. We had over 100 people participate this fall. It was a great experience. This spring another small group is forming, too.

Note to Kevin and others: you read the ENTIRE Bible in 90 days with this program--not an abridged version.

I recommend using a "pew" Bible without study notes or extensive footnotes because they will really slow down your progress and distract you from the text. The idea is to focus on the text itself.

This is definitely NOT lectio divina style--but it gives you a remarkable feel for the unity of scripture that reading more slowly doesn't.

Blessings on everyone committing to read with you!

1/06/2006 10:47 AM  
Blogger Jody Harrington said...

Kevin--
You're right! It's the protestant version without the Apocrypha.
I did have several folks at my church think that we were using an abridged version of the Protestant Bible, however!

1/08/2006 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here