Tuesday, January 10, 2006

In a bit of a funk

OK, so it's a bit more than a funk. But the big issue right now is this whole "wake-up" thing. As in, acknowledging the alarm when it goes off. As in, actually getting up when the alarm goes off. As in, not just turning the alarm(s) off, climbing back into bed, and going back to sleep and waking with absolutely no recollection that all three alarms went off at three different times and were all turned off, presumably by you since there's no one else who woulda done it. It's a very bad thing, and I'm concerned b/c school starts in earnest on Thursday and this can't happen once school starts. It's been an issue for the last three weeks or so now, since right before Christmas, and so "go to bed earlier" isn't necessarily a solution. I made the mistake yesterday of commenting to myself that I seem to consistantly wake up twenty minutes after Morning Prayer -- just late enough to make it too late. Of course, that ensured that this morning I didn't wake up until 9 ... which is when I needed to be at school. Thank God I live only 10 minutes away and I'm real quick at getting ready, and thank God it was just to be there, that I didn't have any exams to proctor or anything like that, but still .... not a good thing AT ALL.

I've gone out and gotten an alarm clock that rings (hence three alarms -- radio, buzzer, and bell), I've tried making the clock be on the opposite side of the room (forcing me out of bed), I've tried creating an obstacle course that makes the clock thoroughly inaccessible (in hopes that the challenge of finding it will wake me up), but it's just not happening.

Any suggestions?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7268066

or less expensive, have somebody else call you repeatedly until you wake up, get up and answer the phone and carry on a half-way normal dialogue for a minute or two. I'm not sure what else to suggest - I am a morning person.

1/10/2006 11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's one more link to Clocky:

http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~nanda/projects/clocky.html

1/10/2006 11:52 AM  
Blogger Eudaimonia said...

Oh, that's never fun. I get that problem sometimes, too. I have a habit of driving myself too hard, and burning out quite badly from time to time.

My trick is to use multiple alarm clocks. I have one beside my bed set to full volume static(which annoys me enough to jolt me out of sleep), plus a travel alarm clock that buzzes "London Bridge is Falling Down" very loudly. I keep it packed in a suitcase in my closet, set about 15 minutes after the other alarm.

Plus, I keep a coffee pot on timer in my bedroom.

Overkill? Maybe, but it helps.

1/10/2006 12:32 PM  
Blogger Steph Youstra said...

I can't have someone call me, though, because I live with other people who would then get even more ticked at me.

1/10/2006 1:04 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Do you have a cell phone? That might be one way to have someone call without really "bothering" anyone else in the house.

I think in all honesty that it's important for people in community to understand the complexity of the human condition. Sometimes that means educating them, but carrying the balance of not victimizing or over exposing yourself in the process (does that make sense?).

Peace,
Lisa

1/10/2006 6:37 PM  
Blogger seeking_something said...

Yo. I have that problem big time. I've consistently slept through both alarms on my alarm clock (I don't even hear it). At the moment, I am using my cell phone as the alarm clock since my brain has not yet adapted to its sound and will actually wake up. You need a buddy in your community, to come check on you and help you get up. Would anyone help you in this regard?

I also like the idea of having something you look forward to in the morning. You are a giving person. Perhaps you'd like to anonymously surprise someone with something nice early in the morn ... wake up before they do just to accomplish it?

1/10/2006 7:34 PM  
Blogger fin said...

My cat wakes me up every morning...

1/12/2006 11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here