Thursday, April 20, 2006

Hey Kellogg .... Wanna Play a Game?

It goes like this, see? First, I say "I ONE the sandbox." And then you say "I TWO the sandbox." And then I say "I three the sandbox" and so on and so forth, and on and on and on and on and on, and on, like that. Wanna play?

[Nah, it's stupid.]

No, no. It's not stupid.

[Oh, all right.]

Okay. Goes like this. I was walking down the street the other day, and I saw a sandbox.

[Huh.]

I one the sandbox.

[Mm.]

Now you.

Oh, now. Okay. I two the sandbox.

I three the sandbox.


.............


Script discovered here ... because I knew this wasn't the full deal ... but there's more coolness here, too.

All of which was discovered to thank Amy Kellogg over at squirrelly.org for directing us towards a wonderful listing of Sesame Street video clips. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, from the accomplishing standpoint) youtube is blocked at school, so I had to wait until I got home. But it was well worth it.

Except ..... now I'll never get anything done!!!

Unfortunately, they don't have one of my absolute favorites from my Sesame Street records growing up (yes, I said records) -- "Monster Lullaby" from the Monster record. Of course, they've now even messed with the albums -- The Monsters of Sesame Street has become Monster Melodies, while shifting out some of the songs for others, but claiming it as the same album. Not that it can be the same album without "I Want a Monster to Be My Friend"... fortunately, my brother and I made sure we preserved them (esp. Monsters & The Count Counts) for posterity on cassettes. Ummm .....

But, I digress. The "Monster Lullaby" is an awesome song about this baby monster who's stalling bedtime, asking for water, that the light be left on because "Well, if the Easter Monster comes early this year I don't want him to trip over my toybox." After much coaxing from Mommy Monster:
There's .... there's ... there's a little girl in the dark.
No, there's not, Junior.
There is so, Mommy, and I'm frightened. She's really scary looking. You know something about her, Mommy?
What?
She's only got hair on the top of her head, and the rest of her is all covered with skin. Oh Mommy. And Mommy, she smiles all the time .... Mommy, I'm frightened.
Junior, There's no such thing as little girls.
And instead of paws, she has hands ... and feet.

There, there, Junior Monster.
Unfortunately, I can't remember enough of the lyrics of the actual lullaby to make coherent sentences on here, and that sample of dialogue was the best I could find. It's an incredibly sweet song, though ....

And thanks, Amy, for reminding me of the goodness of monsters and other puppets!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kellogg said...

I seven the sandbox....

4/21/2006 10:45 AM  
Blogger Keturah said...

I eight the sandbox!!!

(You ate the sandbox????)

Yep, and it was GOOOD too!

Hahahaha....Sesame Street was my life when I was a kid, then when I was sixteen, my baby brother was born and I was introduced to its wonderfulness (is that a word) all over again...thanks for the links.

4/21/2006 3:59 PM  
Blogger will smama said...

Awesome. Thanks for those monster memories.

BURP!

4/21/2006 4:05 PM  
Blogger will smama said...

Oooh, sorry. Keturah's post was not there when I first commented.

She ate it, not me.

4/21/2006 4:06 PM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

You know, there are things I don't even remember knowing until someone brings them up. Then I remember completely.

(Thank you.)

4/21/2006 6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was trying to find a copy of Monster Lullaby to play for my 3rd graders. I loved that song growing up. (I also had it on record, and probably still do somewhere.) You made me smile. Thanks

1/11/2007 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here