Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Sittin' Here at Switchboard

This is how I spent yesterday from noon till nine, and will spend my today from noon through nine: "Sisters of Saint Benedict .... one moment please .... I'm sorry, she's not answering her page, would you like her voice-mail?" Yesterday went better, though. For some reason today, people aren't realizing that I'm on vacation -- they keep calling! How rude of them!

Anyway, one of the tasks of switchboard operator is to let people know when packages arrive for them. Excitingly enough, one was for me! Christmas presents from my gazillionaire brother. So, when the phone lets up enough for me to open the package, what to my wondering eyes should appear but these two gifts. Isn't it wonderful to see what respect my family has for the higher calling their baby sister has chosen to pursue with her life?

And, for those of you who have never seen these before ....

On the left, we have the Boxing Nun: She's got a habit of fighting for what's right! Suited in her traditional habit, our most popular punching puppet comes out swinging with finger-activated arms that move independently and a spring-action head that bobs and weaves. 12" tall. Bagged with a black and white punching nun header sporting our "fight for what's right" motto.

And, in the right corner, we have the Sister Discipline Bop Bag: This unruly, ruler wielding, woman of the cloth, will give you flashbacks to Sunday school! Sister Discipline is made of vinyl and a nice fixture to gaze at and laugh when you are not punching it. She has a sand filled base to keep her on her toes. With ruler in hand and frowning uni-brow, something tells me she is not in a happy mood! At 18 inches, the desktop Sister Discipline is perfect when you need something on your desk to punch out!

My point of curiousity about this whole thing ..... I wonder if Bill remembers when we were younger (well, he's eight years older than me, so when he was in high school and I was a kid) that for a while he was giving me "boxing lessons," complete with ski mittens "boxing gloves."

Ahhhh, family. If you can't get love and respect from them .....

And people wonder why I'm such a freak!

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

I love the seen in the Bells of St Mary's when Sister Benedict (I think that was the character's name) teaches a little boy how to box and ends up getting surprised by hit to her jaw. In habit of course.

Ahhh.... brothers. I have two. My own brother refrained from buying me the nuns having fun calendar and got me something useful instead!

12/27/2005 8:19 PM  
Blogger Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

and i know it's scene not seen. I wish comments had spell check! Or that I take a minute or two to read it over BEFORE I hit the blue button. :)

12/27/2005 8:19 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I really love working the entrance at our place -- it really is a central place for gathering and seeing people! And when you realize how important the phone calls are to both the caller and the called, one grows in awareness of the service as a valued service.

:)
Lisa

12/29/2005 9:04 PM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

Nuns with voice mail... is St. Gabriel your patron saint in these instances?

Wonders never cease...

12/30/2005 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here