Sunday, December 18, 2005

Shameless Plug, Part II, Re-Deux

After my previous Benedictine Life Weekend shameless plug, I followed it up with this post, which links to various photos and other such goodies to help influence give people a visual sense of our place.

Well, I'd like to take this opportunity to invite anyone in the Tri-State region (for us that's Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky) to join us for The-Church-Service-Previously-Held-At-Midnight-That-Now-Is-Held-At-Ten-But-Is-Still-Referred-To-As-Midnight-Mass. Apparently it's always a huge event – our church is packed, and it gets broadcast live on WBDC 100.9 FM. In some respects this will be a first for me, since we've either been so monsooned by snow that no one came or else we didn't have the big public affair b/c our church was being gutted and rebuilt. So .... this year should be extra-huge, with the newly-dedicated Church and everything else. Prelude music begins at 9:30 Saturday night; Mass begins at 10. After Mass the masses of guests head off to the monastic dining room for various freshly-sister-baked breads, rolls, and other refreshments.

But wait, there's more. Come this year and you'll get to hear yours truly on the piano (along with other various instruments, thank God. Especially since I haven't really touched a piano since moving to Loovul and didn't look at the schedule enough to notice that I was down to play until last week. Hence, this week will be spent locked in a practice pod. But I digress.) Seriously, though – handbells, pipe organ, beautiful singing, wonderful acoustics, magnificent worship space, excellent community, great yumminess. I seriously recommend it.

Other recommendation ... give me a heads-up if you are in the area and do want to come – then I can see if I can do anything to help make sure that you have somewhere to sit. Oh, plus it'd be nice to meet you!

3 Comments:

Blogger Keturah said...

Steph, I am sad to miss a "midnight mass" this year. It's actually been several years, but my mother and I used to go to one in Missouri when I was a child and hold a candle and listen to the choir. I wasn't raised in a religious household (both parents former Catholics but not practicing by the time I came along) but for my mother, this was something so pristine and beautiful sitting at mass in the middle of the night with me, bleary-eyed beside her. It was one of the few times a year that I truly saw my mother's spirituality take shape.

Have a great mass this year. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

12/19/2005 12:22 AM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

I want to go! But we're committed to family all day Christmas Eve and Day, then going to my family's on the 27th (I think).

I definitely would love to visit in the new year. I haven't seen the chapel since it's been redone.

:-)

12/19/2005 6:35 PM  
Blogger seeking_something said...

Thanks for the invite. I'd need the gift of bilocution to attend.

I'll be covering one of the masses at my parish, and then I'll be at the cathedral for midnight mass. We love our archbishop.

You play the piano. NOW I'm impressed. You go, girl.

12/20/2005 12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here