Saturday, April 22, 2006

In witness thereof, I have written this document ....

On July 10, 2004, I made my first monastic profession. At this time, I promise[d] for three years stability in this monastery, fidelity to the monastic way of life, and obedience according to the Rule of Benedict, the norms of the Federation of Saint Gertrude, and the living tradition of this monastery.

Two of us entered the community on August 18, 2002. When my classmate left in the spring of 2004, I was "adopted" by the class behind me.

Well, this evening at Vespers, Jill and Jeana will be making their own first monastic profession. Theirs, of course, will take place in the newly restored church (as opposed to mine in our temporary prayer space), but they'll be signing the same document, making the same promises, committing themselves to the same life.

Congrats, guys .... I'm so thrilled for you!

10 Comments:

Blogger Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Thanks for sharing!!! How wonderful and exciting!

4/22/2006 8:31 PM  
Blogger HeyJules said...

I guess I never thought about the actual process to become a nun. How interesting!

4/22/2006 8:39 PM  
Blogger Closed said...

Congratulations on this important step.

4/23/2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger the tentmaker said...

Thank you for who you are and what you do. You have given me great inspiration as I read your daily walk with God.

4/23/2006 7:01 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Steph, thanks for sharing the document of your profession and the reaffirmation of your consecrated commitment as Jeana and Jill profess theirs.

God's continued abundant and loving blessings on all of you!

4/23/2006 10:33 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Steph, after I posted a comment, a question occurred to me. Most of the communities I've been connected to locally have profession of vows take place during the celebration of Eucharist. I am wondering if profession during Evening Prayer is a particular Benedictine tradition. Just curious :)

4/23/2006 10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how cool! Funny how, when I'm finding my own discernment flagging and difficult, and am just generally "Narg" about the whole thing, little bits and pieces like this lift my spirits and help me to reaffirm, "Yes! I want that!" With my Groovy Dominicans.

4/24/2006 2:00 PM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

Did you ever have big sisters-little sisters in school? That's what this reminds me of. (I hope there isn't hazing involved though.)

Congrats to the newly-minted sisters!

4/24/2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger ~pen~ said...

this is very cool and i am so glad to have a visual on you ---- good to have a face for my *sister* :)

(thank you for your email - and your friend's response in said email - i never took a minute to thank you and it is probably unsuitable to do so here, but here i am and in all humility wanted to say thanks for helping me at a time when i needed to know i was "okay." you rock.)

4/24/2006 10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay this is a week late, but the pictures from our profession are finally up on Home at the Dome!

http://www.thedome.org/new/HomeDome/index.html

It was awsome. I didn't expect practically to cry when I got up to read the document. Thus you see no picture of me reading MY profession!

4/29/2006 9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here