Sunday, September 03, 2006

Komments from the Konvent Kitchen

Hypothetical situation here, but as I was contemplating life today, I had this grand revelation that I felt might help some folks out there, so I decided to share it with you.

If you're ever hanging out in the basement of a nun's house while a housemate nun is doing laundry and you notice an ice cream maker and think that this could be a wonderful long weekend kind of activity (perhaps Labor Day?) ..... it might behoove you to check and make sure the thing works before you have it all loaded up with ingredients and ice!

On the plus side, we actually had another machine that did work and, since it was a bigger machine, our smaller amount of ice cream mixture made us OK with the fact that we didn't have enough ice to pack the thing all the way. And it still managed to taste pretty good, too!
I forgot .... I was speaking hypothetically!

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

That's ok, I'm a slave in my convent kitchen. They love my cookies, so I've been making them EVERY DAY!!! They joked that they want me to make a years supply for them to last while I'm back east. Only thing is, not sure it's such a joke.

9/04/2006 1:35 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You are so good at making up so true-to-life hypotheticals!

9/04/2006 7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steph, sometimes you really make me laugh a lot. And that's a very good thing. :) Thank you.
Peace

9/04/2006 10:45 AM  
Blogger HeyJules said...

The first thing I thought of (after I stopped laughing, of course) was "Who was the ding dong that put the broken ice cream maker in the basement instead of just throwing it away?"

Then I realized I was probably calling a nun a "ding dong" and that's probably not the smartest move to make so never mind!!!

9/04/2006 1:14 PM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

I've never made ice cream, but isn't there some salt that's supposed to go in there too? Did you have that, o salt of the earth* people?

*I recently came to understand that phrase lately. I always figured it meant 'basic' or 'part of the earth,' but it actually refers to good people who preserve the earth and keep it from going bad. So I guess in a way it means picklers of the earth!

9/04/2006 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silly Jules: nuns never EVER throw anything away. Someone, somewhere out there, might just benefit from it somehow, somewhere in the future.

Exception: every month one of my Groovy-Sister former housemates from my volunteer year goes through the "Put & Take" (clothes) and "Trash & Treasure" (everything else) tables at the motherhouse and throws away anything broken and everything she deems as utter crap. It's pretty amusing--especially since she has to do this on the sly, else some other sweet little ol' nun will happen upon her and *insist* that someone else might be able to put that broken clock to good use. Even though it's the 3rd time in as many months that it's turned up on the Transh & Treasure table!

So it comes as no surprise that someone saved a broken ice cream maker. It just may make its way to Trash & Treasure someday! ;)

9/05/2006 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here