Monday, January 30, 2006

Inertia

A body in motion tends to continue in motion, and a body at rest tends to remain at rest.

That's how I work, unfortunately enough .... and generally in the latter part of the definition. And not necessarily with the nice peaceful idea of "rest" either. Follow-through is not my strong suit. Once I get going with something, it's great, but if I pause for any reason .....

It's why I so desperately need things like "routines" --- and why I'm so terrible at establishing them. Journalling, for example. When I'm on a roll, it's very good. But, when I stop writing, the amount of effort to get me going again .....

And so it is with this. I was in a really good rhythm, and then, I took a momentary pause, and it all went kerfizzle. Suddenly I feel like I have nothing to say. Which I'm sure isn't true, and yet .... my brain says .... well, my brain says nothing. Hence, the having nothing to say. But, I figure I must write something in hopes that my brain might rediscover itself and return itself back into my skull where it belongs. After all, I need this brain to design the take-home test I need to give my juniors tomorrow, and to prepare lesson plans for my sophomores.

Hmmmmm. Inspiration still hasn't struck. Oh well, at least you all know I'm still alive.

Perhaps .... after dinner ..... and living group meeting .....

That is, if I survive dinner ..... I think it's some sort of salmon something. Well, I know it's some sort of salmon something, because the board in the kitchen said "Salmon 325° 4:15" but I'm not quite sure what kind of salmon something it is. I do know that the various salmon somethings that we have at the monastery are rather yucky to my tastebuds and, while this looked like something different than that, it still didn't look super-enthusing to me. And, unfortunately enough, here I don't have my standard recourse to cinnamon toast like I do in the big institutional serving line. Sigh.

Yesterday, as it was being made, it even smelled yucky, and I thought it was tuna. I'm hit or miss with tuna ... if it's mixed in with lots of noodles and other stuff that thoroughly hides the tuna, I'm generally OK. But ever since the day a few years back during a silent retreat when I was struck by the realization that the look of tuna strangely resembles pre-digested cat food ..... Not that I've ever seen pre-digested cat food, mind you, but I can imagine ....

And now that all y'all are eagerly awaiting the return of my brain to its skull (and pre-inertia-postings), I will hit Publish Post and be done with this.

MMMMMMmmmmmmmm, pre-digested cat food .................

6 Comments:

Blogger ~Jennifer said...

I'm like you. In fact, I even have the law of inertia printed up and hanging in a visible place in my bedroom. It's been there for two years. I ignore it. :-)

1/30/2006 6:17 PM  
Blogger the tentmaker said...

If I may I'd like to comment off subject.

I really liked your original blog: black background, white text, with the dots. I don't have a rational explanation for that preference. I just know that I have it and I thought you might like to know.

1/30/2006 6:47 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I miss your voice when it's not speaking, but your post today reminded me of the feeling of not being able to pray and being challenged to consider that those dry times are when God is trying most to speak/be heard. Thinking of "there's a time for everything" perhaps this means it's a time for listening/reading rather than talking/blogging. Just a thought hoping you can make meaning of your current experiences.

1/30/2006 9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hug* Don't stress about it... We'll just keep checking back, and when there's something new, we'll read and enjoy/empathize and probably comment. Until then, we re-read the classic "Lament of the Lonely Cornflake" and pray for you. It really is a classic, you know...

1/31/2006 8:38 AM  
Blogger Hokule'a Kealoha said...

I just found your blog and I am bookmarking it, I enjoy your perspective. Inertia is sort of where I am too and hope to shake myself loose, Maybe God has me hibernating I dont know. Look forward to watching you on your journey

1/31/2006 12:29 PM  
Blogger seeking_something said...

hmm...nice to know that even Steph has difficulty journaling sometimes. I've been terrible with it for the last 6 months or so.

I once had a co-worker who, health nut that he is, decided to try cooking his fish in the microwave for lunch. Needless to say, he was forever banned from repeating such a feat.

1/31/2006 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here