Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Bits of Bloggling (that's short for Babbling Blogging)

A Veritable Hodgepodgeanamy of Bite-Sized Bits of Bloggable Brain Burps
Yes, folks, the day you dreaded has arrived. Either the funk has lifted, or Steph has completely lost it. I'm leaning towards the latter, particularly considering the compelling combination of creatively composed words with alluring alliteration. But hey, at least I'm not discussing pre-digested cat food anymore, right? {And, as a good friend of mine from college would always add: And if you have butt hay, you should mow it and bale it, cuz that's pretty gross.}

But(t) ... on with the randomness!

»»» Does anyone else get annoyed at the line in Romans where it says that "the wages of sin is death"? That was the reading for Evening Prayer last night, and it always bugs me. {Particularly because there were signs all around the university where I took a couple education courses while I was working at a boarding school, using that passage to explain why AIDS is around.} It's wages. That's the word being verbed. {I loved Calvin & Hobbes: Verbing wierds words.} Sin merely modifies the subjected word that is to be verbated {as in, have a verb attached to}. Wages is plural; thus, it should receive the pluralized form of the verbation {did I mention the making-up of words?}. Sin is, but wages are. And even if you flip it around — "Death is the wages of sin" — it still doesn't make sense because you're equating a singular with a plural. And besides, who talks like that anyway?!?!?

»»» Then, we have Psalm 137, which we also had at Evening Prayer last night {not that I get distracted during prayer or anything}. Verse 6 always reminds me of a very good friend of mine, who happens to be the Program Director for the Franciscan Volunteer Ministry {at least, I think she is ... not like I've heard from her ... who knows, maybe she's been abducted by aliens. After all, that's what's happened to me, can't you tell? Anyhoo ...}. One time I was visiting her, and she had me doing slave labor I was helping her with this mailing. Needless to say, we got a bit high on the envelope paste (the "wet-washcloth" methodology of mass mailings must not have dawned on either of us), and we began to wonder what would happen if our tongues got too overloaded with the glue from the stamps – would they stick to the roof of our mouth? Then what? So, of course, in the interest of science, we began to experiment what that would be like. Thus, we began speaking without removing the tip of our tongue from the roof of our mouth {I say this like the two of us share a single tongue and mouth-roof, like we're joined at the tongue or something like that. But that sounds really bad. But you know what I'm talking about, right?}. Our speech was thoroughly indecipherable at the beginning (but quite laugh-inducing); however, I would like to inform everyone that this is a skill that, with just an afternoon of practice, can be rather quickly developed, at least for the two of us. The problem last night, though, stems from the fact that I can never read that part of the psalm without thinking of that afternoon and my friend Katie {sorry for "outing" your connection with me, but I figured you wouldn't mind a little FVM publicity -- hope I don't scare them off, though!}. What's worse is that it takes great effort not to recite this psalm precisely in that manner. At the monastery, it's not that noticable, but alternating sides in a house of only five people .... it's just so hard!!!

»»» And, speaking of sticking palates, I saw a commercial for SuperPoliGrip, where they use someone's finger to demonstrate how this stuff is 16-hours-strong. Being denturely clueless, what they show on TV makes it look like it's this whole thing that gets glued to the roof of your mouth, which leads me to wonder .... if this stuff is as strong as they say it is, and you haven't waited the 16 hours for it to loosen up .... how do you detatch your teeth without ripping the roof of your mouth out along with them? Wouldn't that hurt???

And, while I'm sure it brings tears of anguish to your eyes to hear read me say type this and you wail in agony, "Please, whatever you do, don't stop!" {or is it "Please, whatever you do, make it stop!"?}, and while my brain is still brimming with other blatherings to broadcast, I have lesson plans to prep. Thus, I will sign off, and we can all hope that the silliness starts to subside.

In the meantime ..... peace out & sleep good!

5 Comments:

Blogger Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

I'll be driving by a giant "the wages of sin is death" billboard tomorrow in a small town in rural Washinigton on my way to groovy sister reserves. It always annoys me for exactly the reasons you mention!

We have 5 in my house (when I'm there to make the 5th) so I have a question ... how do you decide which side to be on? I sit kind of in the middle (weird sectional sofa thing), and I've at this point basically chosen which side I'm on, but it seems weird to have 2 on one side and 3 on the other.

hmmm....

Glad you're feeling better!

(And I'm a prophet soul)

2/02/2006 12:26 AM  
Blogger Bad Alice said...

"The take-home pay of sin is death." I think it's plural because an individual is paid wages (plural). Or maybe the translator(s) licked too many envelopes. You know, I heard that roaches like that envelope glue.

2/02/2006 8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I wasn't the only one consternating over singulars and plurals at morning prayer the other day!

2/02/2006 10:30 AM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

It irritates me in more ways than one.

Let's diagram this.

Death (noun) is (verb) the wages (article, direct object plural) of sin (modifiers).

Yep, it's ungrammatical. Thank you, Sister Christina, wherever you are.

2/02/2006 6:56 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice said...

Straight out of Merriam-Webster online: 2 : RECOMPENSE, REWARD -- usually used in plural but sing. or plural in constr. the wages of sin is death -- Rom 6:23 (Revised Standard Version)

I bet they made that up just to cover this example.

2/02/2006 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here