Friday, March 17, 2006

Weekend Wonderings -- The "Exasperating Existance" Edition

Why can't I take the few moments needed as the semester progresses to grade assignments when they come in, instead of making my life a nightmarish hell at the end of the term???
And why in the WORLD would I say I could lead a Confirmation retreat tomorrow .... that's over an hour away .... that BEGINS at 8:00 on a Saturday morning ..... that I haven't even begun to look at the materials for yet?
Sigh .... lots to blog, but it'll just have to wait .....

3 Comments:

Blogger see-through faith said...

Not sure it helps you - but I hate grading too. Ranks up there with the ironing for things I put off and wish I just got on with.

3/19/2006 7:24 AM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

How about if I grade and you iron?

3/19/2006 11:07 PM  
Blogger Dorian Speed said...

I am trying REALLY REALLY HARD this quarter to grade homework assignments and other crap...excuse me, stimulating and content-rich learning experiences...during the period while the students are doing a warm-up of some type. For example, today I posted the question "Describe a situation in which a person ends up as an anonymous 'John Doe' at a morgue with nobody to claim his body or mourn his passing" (this is in conjunction with our trip to one of the exhibits of plasticized cadavers touring the country). While the students wrote responses and then I led a quick discussion, I checked each person's homework from the previous night for basic completion. Took about 5 minutes. If I could just do that every time I give out an assignment that I don't really need to peruse for minute accuracy, I would be ahead of the game.

I like grading papers (meaning, "research papers," not "piles of assignments turned in four weeks before") when I have a really good rubric that allows me to zip right through.

3/22/2006 11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here