Thursday, July 20, 2006

Puking Partnerships

Random tidbit .... I did wake up to NPR yesterday morning (at some horrendously early stupid pre-airport time) and heard a story about one of the airlines wanting to sell advertising space on the airsickness bags. Two questions came to mind on hearing that (besides "It's not time to wake up yet, is it?"):

1) I don't know when the last time, if ever, I've actually seen one of those things. I mean, I know they're there, but I don't exactly pull them out with the magazine and think, "Ooo, barf bag. Wonder how recently it's had to be replaced?"

2) Is that really an ideal advertising situation? Is that the image and/or experience that you would want forever associated with your product? I'm thinking of the comments to CurlyMcDimple's Gross Advertising Survey, particularly about the foot fungus monster. Yeah, I can see it now — "Mmmmm, Krispy Kremes. I saw them on a barf bag!" Or, even better: "Losing my lunch at cruising altitude always makes me think of [insert poorly-advertised product name here]." Although, you know what? Probably won't take long before something along the lines of:
Has airline turbulance got you shaken up? Is travelling troubling your tummy? Have you lost valuable nutrients during the course of your flight plans? With all that money the airlines are collecting for your tickets, shouldn't they have to at least provide you with an easy pathway to the rear lavatory so you can lose your lunch in privacy? You shouldn't have to suffer the indignity of seat-side vomiting. Nor should you have to be an innocent bystander, held captive to the stink and stench of your seat-mate's stomach spasms. Call us today, and put your airfare to work for you!

Emesis & Associates
Make them pay ... for your puke
1-800-BARF-BAG

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that story too. I love your twist on it!

Unfortunately, I do always look for the barf bag. I had a middle-school English teacher who, for some reason, collected the things--unused, of course. One entire wall of her classroom was covered with them. They're not all bland white either. Airline logos, etc. We'd sign and date them when we gave them to her and the probably still live on at DeKalb Middle School.

And I have, in fact used the barf bag on more than one occasion.


VERY humiliating. Now I never try to go it without Dramamine. Ginger root DOES NOT work for me.

This is me on landing, unmedicated:

"Oh God!" *hurl* "I'm sorry!" *hurl again* "I'm so sorry!" *dry heave into bag* "God, I'm sorry!"

Apologizing to everyone within ear/nose shot.

7/20/2006 12:07 PM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

I think the only suitable advertiser (if there must be one) would be a motion-sickness remedy.

For your browsing pleasure, here are a few links (yes I am bored at work):

Airsickness Bags Virtual Museum (nauseum?)

Rune's Barf Bag Collection

And, to lend it a bit of academic credibility, a Berkeley prof's collection.

I've missed you and your humor. How often does one see the word 'emesis'? Ever?

7/20/2006 2:00 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Actually, at home, the bags were always printed as envelopes to send your film away for cheap photo processing.

7/20/2006 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here