Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Blessed Sacrament is reserved in the *@&#*&^*#@#^*&^!

In French-Speaking Canada, the Sacred Is Also Profane

"Oh, tabernacle!" The man swore in French as a car splashed through a puddle, sending water onto his pants. He could never be quoted in the papers here. It is too profane.
So are other angry oaths that sound innocuous in English: chalice, host, baptism. In French-speaking Quebec, swearing sounds like an inventory being taken at a church.

Hmmm .... I'm always on the look-out for fun new creative ways to say things .... although I think this would just make me laugh! I mean, really. "Chausible you! " "Why, you ... you ... mantilla!"

Of course, coming from the girl whose favorite curses involve calling someone a poodle-brain or an elephant turd ... somehow I don't think I've got much room to comment ...

2 Comments:

Blogger Garpu said...

If the next time I'm an EM I start cracking up as I go to the tabernacle, you'll know why...

12/05/2006 11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made me LOL at work--points for you and curious looks for me! :)

12/07/2006 1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here